Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Love

    Love is so much more powerful than I think we'll ever fully understand, at least on earth, but lately I've been realizing my need to understand it more. Love is the greatest commandment. It never fails. Without it, we're just a clanging symbol. Love is what changes us. God IS love.
    Today I got to see a little glimpse of the power of God's love. I met one lady named Laquana on skid row. I talked to her for a little bit, then kept walking down the street. When I passed her again on my way back, there were tears running down her face and she said she really liked the message on the sandwich bags. They don't say much, just, "You're amazing and God loves you so much! 'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." But being told God loves you is that touching. We just looked into each other's eyes and she cried and I prayed for her and held her for a few seconds. It was one of those moments that can't be fully expressed in words. I just know that I've barely scratched the surface of understanding God's love, and I need to know Him more. I need to be so emptied of myself that all that's in me is God's love. And all that can flow out of me is God's love.
     I love how on this trip full of new places, experiences, and faces, I get the joy of finding familiarity in the people that I get to see regularly in each city. Those people in LA have been Latoya, Chocolate, Herbert (who's actually from Memphis!), and Deborah! I'm always excited to see them when I'm heading out for the day. Deborah is such a sweetie! I love the way we bring each other joy! Today when I told her I love her, she said, "I love you more!" Deborah is so awesome, it's going to be sad when I have to say goodbye to her!
Me and Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment